Monday, June 1, 2009

17 Years and Counting

Seventeen years ago today I was enjoying my first official day in the office as pastor of HDBC. Jana was 3, Joy was preparing for kindergarten and Julie was planning to be a student at SAC in the fall. My weight was lighter and my hair was darker. I was driving a 1986 silver Toyota truck. I later sold it after it had over 220,000 miles. We moved into our very first house on Patriot Circle and began to settle in as your new pastor.

Now, seventeen years later two of our three daughters are married and we have a wonderful grandson. As I look at the faces each Sunday morning I am thrilled to see how God has brought so many people into the church and how He has challenged and matured so many who were already here. God has done some great things during these years, but I truly believe the best is yet to come. Jan and I love serving alongside each of you and count it a great privilege to be here. Thanks for being a great church and for loving us like you do.

Lord willing, I'm hoping for another seventeen years (or more), all to His glory.

1 comment:

  1. Johnny -

    This is Francois van Eck....I tried to call you but the phone at the church just rang...I'll try again.

    I red some of your blog...it's great...
    I remember that silver toyota truck you had when we were ther in 1998.

    I think back many times about how you baptised me and Corné together.

    We have three kids now - about where you were 17 years ago...Ruben is 7, Maya is 5 and Danae is 2.

    Corné is currently in the US and may visit Tony and Mary this coming week...her nr. is 901 833 3148.

    Do you still have contact with Boyd & Rohnda Hall? Are they still in Port Elizabeth, South Africa? I would like to contact them. We moved back to SA a year ago, it's been a hard transition but God is keeping us safe in His hand.

    Our e-mail is fcvaneck@vodamail.co.za

    Say hi to Jan!!!! and all the rest.

    Francois

    ReplyDelete