Thursday, November 19, 2009

Computer Work

It is official. We are computer-dependent. Glenda's hard drive decided to die yesterday and it pretty much brought her to a screeching stop. After running all the possibly diagnostics and attempts to fix that bad boy hard drive we gave up and picked up a replacement. In case you are wondering about the size of the new hard drive, it is one terabyte. If you are like me you are now wondering what a terabyte is. Well it is one thousand gigabytes. A gigabyte is one thousand megabytes. A megabyte is one thousand kilobytes. A kilobyte is one thousand bytes. Are you still with me? I remember when we measured hard drives by kilobytes. Now we are in the terabyte era. At least she will be able to store a few pictures and videos.

In case you are wondering what comes next . . . petabyte, exabyte, zettabyte, and yottabyte. Now you are ready for the future!

See you Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. I find it amazing... My grandfather has an old computer, running windows 95 I believe, which is 6 gigs. My flash drive is two more gigs than that and I can carry it on my neck, Its getting larger yet smaller every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because of the possibility of a hard drive giving out or a computer virus, I keep my writing in long hand or us my typewriter before I go to my laptop. Amazingly enough, my typewriter has never died, deleted anything or ever had to be plugged in. I think it's the only way to write a novel!

    ReplyDelete