Thursday, April 9, 2009

Men of Prayer

This morning (as I do each Thursday morning) at 6:30 I met with a group of prayer warriors. These men faithfully join me every Thursday morning to do one thing: PRAY. We don't provide coffee and donuts; we don't have a devotional thought; we don't do Bible Study. We simply pray.

We pray for those who are sick and in need of healing. We pray for those who do not have a personal relationship with Jesus. We pray for our nation and its leaders. We pray for our church and for the Kingdom of God. We worship our God and Savior. We offer thankful hearts for his bountiful blessings. We ask, seek, listen and learn. And in the process we grow to know God more intimately.

I am beginning to learn that knowing God should eclipse every other pursuit in my life. I'm not there yet, but I am moving in that direction. J. I. Packer offers four results that come from knowing God.

Those who know God have great energy for God.
Those who know God have great thoughts of God.
Those who know God show great boldness for God.
Those who know God have great contentment in God.

Oh, how I long for those things to be true of me.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I don't comment much, but I really do appreciate you taking the time and effort to share your thoughts with us. It's definitely an encouragement to me.

    ReplyDelete